Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thankful Thursday

It seems like it's been an awfully long time since I did a thankful Thursday post. That's probably because it has been a while, what with the trip to Vegas, food poisoning (or flu) and then getting the new puppy. I've been pretty busy, and haven't been spending as much time online lately.

But I'm here today, thinking of all the things I'm thankful for. And as stupid, girly and shallow as this sounds, I'm grateful for the fact that the tent caterpillar infestation is almost over. Apparently the local environmentalists are saying that by the end of next week, they should be in their coccoons, and well on their way to being moths. I really do prefer the idea of moths over these creepy, crawly caterpillars.

These things are EVERYWHERE. They love aspen trees (according to the girl at the bus stop this morning), but will munch on anything deciduous. There are quite a few in our yard, even in the grass and on the deck. I'm sure I've killed close to 50, just in the past couple of hours. Of course, I am going out of my way to make sure that I step on any that I see. The deck and planter box edges look like a little tent caterpillar killing field. Which is really what they are, I guess.

They also really like the side of our house for some reason - so my mom's been taking the hose to them and spraying them off. Whatever it takes to get rid of them, because they really do give me the shivers. I don't know why, since they don't bite or anything, but I just can't stand the thought of them.

I am thankful that their reign of terror (silent as it has been) is almost over.

2 comments:

Visichy said...

I wouldn't like having them all over the place either. I hope the next week goes quickly for you. :)

Louisa said...

I get the heebie-jeebies just thinking about that many caterpillars. We haven't had the infestation here in Edm, thankfully. Bring on the moths!