Thursday, May 15, 2008

Cocker Rescue Auction Site

So, a couple of months ago, a friend of mine that runs a Cocker Rescue based out of New Hampshire asked me if I would think about being the Site Administrator for a new Cocker Rescue auction site. There used to be a fabulous site, but the woman that runs it came down with ill health, and she just isn't able to manage the workload right now. I'm a big supporter of Cocker Rescue, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to work on my site administration skills while making a valuable contribution.

Well, let's just say it's been a real learning experience! I clearly did not know NEARLY as much as I thought I did LOL I have relied more on tech support over the past month or so than I ever thought I would. Granted, tech support hit a few glitches along the way too, so it's not all my fault. I'm not really sure, but I kind of suspect that the folks that asked me to take on this role are questioning their choice. But I've learned, so that certainly helps.

Today was the launch of the actual Spring auction . . . and we discovered very quickly that using shared servers does not provide enough bandwidth for our auction. It is just way too intensive. So as I type this, I am trying to get the Name Servers changed, so that we can be hosted on a Virtual Private Server, and not experience interruptions to our service. When I woke up this morning, I couldn't have typed that last sentence if I'd tried . . . I don't think I even knew some of those words. I've come a long way baby, in just 9 hours!

Check out the auction at http://www.lifeslittlepawsauction.com

No comments: