Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thankful Thursday

Yes, it's that time of week again. This week I am thankful that I can read. I am fortunate enough to live in a country where public education is free (some schools may charge nominal fees for books or supplies, but no tuition) and the education received is good. Yes, the quality varies from school to school, but overall, we (as Canadians) have the opportunity to learn the basics of math, science, language and history/social studies.

In Mexico, there is a fee to attend school. The country is mostly poor, so there are thousands of kids that never get to learn to read, to add and subtract, or learn their heritage. These kids go on to be young adults with no real aim or purpose, and as adults, they will never really get ahead in life, because they aren't equipped for working. I know that Mexico isn't the only country that this happens in, but I have personal experience with Mexico, so I'm referencing that.

I love to read. Reading teaches me something new on a regular basis. I read auto-biographies, educational (non-fiction) books, almost all kinds of fiction, and even young adult literature. Reading provides me with an escape when I need it, or even encouragement when I need it.

I am so glad that I learned to read, and that my mom fostered a love of reading.

No comments: