Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Does This Scare You?

Every day when I have a free minute, I read the daily news headlines on my Blackberry (my other right arm LOL). I like to have at least a cursory knowledge of what's going on in the world. My headlines include Canadian news, US news, world news, technology news, entertainment news and health and science news. In the technology news section was the following headline:

Lawmakers Seek Ban On Laptops In Airline Cockpits

Call me paranoid, but isn't it terrifying that pilots (or co-pilots) are allowed to have laptops in the cockpit? Shouldn't they just be concentrating on flying the plane? I mean, I know that it's not like driving a car, which requires awareness of passing traffic and other drivers. But still, don't they have to watch the gages and stuff? Make sure the engine is working and that the plane is at the right altitude and stuff?

Maybe it's just me . . . but I find the thought of pilots surfing the net while flying my plane frightening. And that Northwest Airlines flight that overshot Minneapolis by 150 miles due to pilot inattention proves that it happens. What next?

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I'm right with you on that!! The other day I was in the car with my daughter and we had a police car go FLYING past us on a call- he was looking down at his laptop while driving!! Technology is making things scaring out there!!
Hope your ankle starts feeling better!