Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Jewelry Box

I don't know about you guys, but when I was little, one of my favourite things to do was to sit with my mom and go through her jewelry box. She always had the best stories about the things in there, and hours would pass by as we took a stroll down memory lane. As I got older, it was something that we did less and less often, usually because either she or I (or both of us) were busy. I didn't really think about it that much . . . because as you know, when you get older, life changes from being about dreams and fantasies and memories and becomes more about reality and the facts of life (no, not just those facts people - get your minds out of the gutter!).

Anyhow, my mom just got back from visiting her best friend and was telling me about how her best friend's dad was divvying up her mom's jewelry (her mom passed away earlier this year). It got my mom and I talking about what to do with various pieces of her jewelry when the time comes for items to be given out. That conversation evolved into a visit to the jewelry box (well, drawers now, as she has many mementos collected). It was very cool to be going through her precious items, just like we've done so many times before. It made me feel like a young kid again, and I enjoyed hearing the stories attached to the various items, even though I've heard those stories before. They're the kinds of stories you can never hear enough times.

I'm so thankful to have this wonderful relationship with my mom, where we can sit and fall into old habits and memories and have it feel completely natural. I just wanted to share my appreciation for something that doesn't get done often enough . . . quality time with the most important person in my life.

1 comment:

Visichy said...

Awwwww! What a nice story. Your mom is so cool :)