Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The "Happy" Basket


Well, I have to say that yesterday was one of the toughest days I have had to make it through. Granted, I'm young, and haven't suffered many losses in my life (thankfully my parents are still both with me, as is my brother and all of my close friends). But still, Quigley was a family member, and letting go was not easy. I knew it wouldn't be.

I am a member of several online groups for Cocker Spaniel owners, and the outpouring of love and support was amazing. Not only were there messages posted for Quigley and I, but I received many private messages and emails. It sounds corny, but I could almost feel their prayers holding me up. I'm not a super religious person, by any stretch of the imagination, but I do believe in God and the power of prayer. For me personally, yesterday just cemented that. I have belonged to these groups for several years, so some of the people are as close to me as the friends that live right here.

One friend and her husband made me up a "Happy" basket. Tons and tons of delicious chocolates, a very cute purple jewelled notebook and matching pen, and two Adam Sandler movies. Happy Gilmore (which I had recently told them was one of my favourite movies of all time) and Billy Madison. It was such a thoughtful and loving gesture, and I was touched by it.

Farley was pretty subdued when I got home from work. We brought him to the vet clinic with us, because I thought it was only fair that he get a chance to say goodbye as well. He has lived side by side with Quigley since he was 8 weeks old, so this is a big loss for him too. I know he's grieving, and it makes me sad. But I am so thankful that I have him to hold close and cuddle with. He still wants to play with his toys (that's so ingrained it will never change), but he spent a lot of time very close to me as well.

Even Billy was changed somehow, although I can't put my finger on it. He tends to be oblivious to most stuff, but he was slightly calmer yesterday. Only slightly though . . . I don't want to go overboard.

July 2006 has been a month that will go down in my personal record books as one of the worst days ever. That being said, at least I got the month to spend extra time with Quigley and spoil him more than normal. I'll always be thankful for that.

1 comment:

Louisa said...

Hi Kelly,
I just got home and read this. I'm so sorry about Quigley and hope you can find comfort. I love the Quigley-angel picture! Hugs.