Thursday, October 01, 2009

Thankful Thursday

Last week I went back to where my mom grew up (we call it The Farm) for my grandpa's funeral. It was a sad week, obviously, but in other ways it was a good week. I am so VERY thankful for the family I have. As my blog readers know, I'm close to both of my parents, so being thankful for them is a given. But I am very fortunate to have a close-knit extended family too. We don't email or call regularly, but every time we get together, it's like we were never apart.

I saw cousins that I haven't seen in several years . . . but I honestly felt like we hadn't missed a beat. Some are married with kids (kids I hadn't seen before, other than in pictures), but still, our relationships are comfortable like they've always been. Other cousins are more distantly related (primarily by marriage), and yet we act as though we're as close as *true* cousins.

I love the feeling of having a large, warm, welcoming family. I'm sure others would feel smothered by the constant presence, interrogation and whatnot, but I find it comforting. I'm not sure if it's because most of them live so far away, so we see them infrequently, or if it's more that my mom always taught my brother and I that family is above all else. Either way, it was really, really good to catch up with my cousins, aunts and uncles, despite the sad circumstances.

No comments: