Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mysterious Ankle Ailment

I have never, ever heard of this happening to anybody before, and a Google searched revealed nothing, so I thought I'd reach out to the World Wide Web for information.

Since early September I've been wearing All Rounder shoes by Mephisto. They're a Mary Jane style, but a bit high in the back, so I find they rub on my Achilles tendons somewhat uncomfortably. It's not painful, just irritating. So in early October I decided to go shoe shopping. I wanted runners or sneakers with good tread, for walking the dogs every day. I knew that I didn't need top-of-the-line shoes, but I didn't want to cheap out either. I ended up buying a pair of Natural Balance #645 cross trainers, for just over $100. Out of all of the shoes I tried on, they were the most comfortable by far. I wore them to work a bingo later that evening, and my feet felt great. Sore from standing, which is par for the course for me, but no other pain.

Thanksgiving weekend I bought a pair of insoles to put in the shoes, since I am a pronator (my feet tend to roll inward somewhat, flattening my arches). I paid $25 for the insoles - I got them at a sporting goods' store.

By the Sunday, my ankles were sore, but not along the Achilles tendons. The pain was on the front of my ankles, where the tibia (shin bone) meets the top of the foot. It's not an electric or shooting pain, but it's not a dull ache either. Since then (the day before Thanksgiving), my ankles have been sore. They didn't start out swollen or bruised, but I do think that my right ankle is just slightly swollen on the front, and behind the inside ankle bone). The right is more painful than the left, but both are sore.

Thinking that it might be the new shoes, I wore a completely different pair of shoes for the dog show (Josef Seibel shoes). I did find that my ankles were way less sore. However, they are still sore, especially the right one. And now that I'm back home, they're almost as sore as they were before. My theory is that it's some kind of tendonitis that developed from wearing the shoes. It's not muscular pain, and it's not bone pain (at least, I don't think it is). Any guesses or ideas? I do have a doctor's appointment next week to get them looked at, if I don't have to go to the ER before then.

2 comments:

{Sarah} said...

I have no idea... but good luck finding out! Hopefully it stops hurting soon!

Visichy said...

Assuming nothing shows up on an x-ray (a bone fracture or something) I would get to a good orthotics place asap. Get a referral from someone in your area as, like so many things, there are good and bad orthotics people. Also, check your health insurance through work as they may cover the costs of orthotic inserts for your shoes.

I pronate ever so slightly but the bigger issue is that I have an odd stride that has caused me foot pain. I also have New Balance shoes (cus they rock!) but I have orthotic inserts that were made from a mold of my foot and they've made so much difference... especially when I'm putting a lot of stress on my feet.

Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you soon.