Thursday, March 23, 2006

Motivation

I'm trying to figure out the secret to staying motivated. Mostly because my friend and I are going to the gym tonight, and I have spent the last half hour trying extremely hard to come up with a reason not to go. The more I think about that elliptical machine, ready to give me a heart attack at the slightest move, the more I would rather stay home and park my butt on the couch for the evening. So people, what's the secret to staying motivated? Especially where exercise is concerned?

The other thing that sucks the motivation right out of my system is homework (this shouldn't come as a big shock to those that read this blog regularly). The further in advance I want to get an assignment done, the more easily I can find pretty much anything else to do. Take my latest finance assignment, for example. It was given to me on Monday, and every night I have found reason after reason to leave it sitting on the kitchen table, unlooked at. If I was smart, I'd be working through it now, but I just keep leaving it. I guess I'm hoping the homework fairies will do it while I'm sleeping. So far, no such luck.

The schedule was posted for Billy's first show (next weekend). There are going to be up to 14 males competing, of all ages and allowable Cocker Spaniel colour combinations. Some of them are champions in the US already, and some are being shown by professional handlers. It's sort of like a wake-up call for me . . . I think I was harbouring secret thoughts that Billy might win one day at this show, but I think the competition is just going to be too fierce. I should be giving my head a shake anyhow . . . at this age (7 months) it's more about having fun than winning anyhow. So now I have plenty of time to get used to the idea of not winning (which isn't necessarily losing, in my view), so that it doesn't bother me in BC.

Off to Edmonton tomorrow for a presentation about China. We should get our itinerary for our trip then, and the flight details and stuff. Very exciting! The unexciting part is that we are driving there and bad in one day, which means 10 hours on the road. UGH! For somebody who gets car sick, that's just not an exciting prospect. But, as somebody famous once sang, I will survive!

1 comment:

Visichy said...

Motivation to exercise is something I struggle with too. Usually, once I get to the gym I'm fine... it's getting out the door that's tough.

So for me I just have to focus on getting to the gym and let everything else go. Forget about all the reasons not to go and just get your running shoes on and get out the door.

Then before you know it, the work out will be done and you'll be back home again with the same issues but you feel so much better for having gone to the gym.